What We Believe
Holston Creek Baptist Church is a family of believers who hold dear the following beliefs:
- GOD – There is one God who exists in three persons: the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. They are one in essence but distinct in person and function. God is the creator and ruler of the universe. He is holy, all powerful, all knowing, all loving, and all wise.
- God the Father – The first person of the trinity. He is father to those who become children of God through faith in Jesus Christ. He is just, loving, compassionate, and faithful to His people and promise
- God the Son – God the Son (Jesus Christ) is the second person of the trinity. He is wholly God and wholly man. He was born of a virgin, lived a sinless life, died in our place as a sacrifice for the sins of mankind, was buried, arose bodily from the grave, and ascended into Heaven and will return again to earth to reign as King of Kings and Lord of Lords.
- God the Spirit – The Holy Spirit is the third person of the trinity. He is present in the world to make men aware of their need for Jesus Christ. He also lives in every Christian from the moment of salvation. He provides the Christian with power for living, understanding of spiritual truth, and guidance in doing what is right. The Christian seeks to live under His control daily.
- Bible – The Bible is God’s word. It was written by human authors, under the supernatural guidance of the Holy Spirit. It is the supreme source of truth for Christian beliefs and living. Because it is inspired by God, it is truth without any mixture of error.
- Man – Man is a special creation of God, made in His image. Through the sin of the first man, Adam, mankind fell so that all men are sinners and need salvation.
- Eternity – Man was created to exist forever. Man will either exist eternally separated from God by sin or in union with God through forgiveness and salvation. To be eternally separated from God is hell. To be eternally in union with God is eternal life. Heaven and hell are places of eternal existence.
- Salvation – Man can never make-up his sin by self-improvement and good works and is therefore in need of salvation. Eternal salvation is a gift from God to man, available to all who repent of their sin and accept Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior.
- Church – The church is a local body of baptized believers unified through faith in Christ, who is the head. The church is committed to the teachings of Christ and obeying all of His commands and seeks to bring His gospel to the world.
- Ordinances – There are two ordinances given to the church by Christ.
- Baptism – It symbolizes the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus Christ and is your public declaration that you have accepted Jesus Christ as your personal Lord and Savior. Baptism does not save you, but shows the world that you have already been saved. And while baptism is not required for salvation, it is a biblical command and demonstrates your love and obedience to Christ. Immersion is the proper method of baptism.
- Lord’s Supper – It is a symbolic act of obedience given to all believers by Jesus Christ to remember His sacrifice for us and to symbolize the New Covenant. The elements of the broken bread and the fruit of the vine are symbols of Christ’s broken body and shed blood. The Lord’s Supper is not a means of salvation. It is a testament of a believer’s faith in the atoning work of the cross of Christ.
- Missions – The Lord Jesus Christ has commanded us to share the gospel to all nations. We strive to accomplish this through personal witness, church programs, and through our cooperation with believers of like faith.
- Family – God has ordained the family as the foundational institution of human society. It is composed of persons related to one another by marriage, blood, or adoption. Marriage is the unifying of one man and one woman in covenant commitment for a lifetime.
- Prayer – Each believer has direct access to God through the Lord Jesus Christ.
- Calvinism – Every person can and must be saved by a personal and free decision to respond to the Gospel by trusting in Christ Jesus alone as Savior and Lord. Christ is willing and able to save any and every sinner.