A small group of people meeting at the Cedar Hill School near Mascot in 1901 realized the need for a place of worship in their community. After much prayer, a revival was held that summer in a brush arbor. As a result, Holston Creek was organized November 2, 1901.
Twenty-one charter members elected Rev. J. M. Turner as their first pastor. Two and one-half acres of land was graciously donated by Mr. Enoch Lawrence for the erection of the church building. Mr. B. A. Strange donated the timber which church members sawed and used to construct a building seating one hundred people.
Having grown out of this mission spirit, Holston Creek has always loved and supported missions. She helped organize the Walnut Hill Baptist Church in 1909 and Rock Hill Baptist Church in 1922.
After a mighty Spirit-filled revival in 1925, 170 people joined Holston Creek, then under the leadership of Dr. H. D. Bruce. In 1927, the church constructed her first parsonage that remained in use until 1951.
In the fall of 1946, with the members anxious to build a new church building and with stacks of wood already on site, the church called Rev. Guy H. Lawson, Sr. as her pastor. It was to be the longest pastorate to date. During those years, the new church building was erected and in 1951, a new parsonage was built which remains in use today.
Following Lawson’s resignation, Dr. E. O. Edwards, then a professor at North Greenville College, became pastor. He resigned in 1973 and Rev. Robert Marchbanks became pastor.
The church voted in October 1973 to buy 1.3 acres adjoining church property from Mr. Ralph Johnson for $8,000. This property was used to construct the Fellowship building, containing a full-size basketball court, dining area, and a fully equipped kitchen. The Keen Klub was organized. Mrs. Marchbanks served as the Minister of Music.
The church ball field was built on land donated to the church in 1969 by Mr. and Mrs. J. B. Johnson, Jr. Many young and old members have enjoyed using this facility through the years.
In 1984, the houses and lots of Mr. and Mrs. Ralph Johnson and Mr. and Mrs. Guy Collins were purchased at a total cost of $75,000. This gave the church room for future expansion.
In 1988, following the resignation of the Marchbanks and the interim pastorate of Rev. Glen Felmet, Rev. Donnie L. Solesbee was called as pastor. Much work on the church and parsonage and an exciting growth in attendance marked Rev. Solesbee’s Ministry. He resigned in July 1991.
Rev. Gene Burke was called as pastor in 1992. In November 1992, 74 persons received Christ and were baptized during a revival led by Dr. J. Harold Smith. Rev. Burke was very active in the pro-life movement and led out in trying to reach community “newcomers” for the Lord. He resigned in early 2000 and accepted a pastorate in Ohio.
In January 2001, the church called Rev. Reggie Parker as pastor. Holston Creek is now enjoying new growth and experiencing renewed interest in every phase of ministry.
Through these years, many young men and women have left our community to serve in our armed forces. Some of them have made the ultimate sacrifice; all have served with distinction. We, the church, shall never forget them.
Through the years, many men and women have surrendered to the Lord to teach, preach, and serve – here at Holston and around the World. We, the church, shall never forget them.
And now, as our hearts and minds turn toward the next years, we, the church shall never forget God who has saved us, called us, and equipped us to be the Holston Creek Baptist Church. To God be the glory!
“Remember your leaders who spoke the Word of God to you. Consider the outcome of their way of life and imitate the faith.” – Hebrews 13:7 (NIV)
Heritage of the Past, Challenge of the Future
(Slogan and Bible verse submitted by Mrs. Henry [Edith] Boyter)